People prefer getting brand new items and it just makes me wonder why there are stores that accepts and pays for used products such as appliances, electronics, cars, etc. Most banks nowadays will make it easy for you to get a new product through car loans and housing loans, for example.
Of course this is a great thing since it would help avoid adding yearly garbage deposits of unused electronics, per se. A good example of this was in the US where more than 2 million tons of electronics were thrown away. Aside from having more trash, those electronics contain elements that can be harmful to the environment and our health. A lot of parts coming from old or used items can still be used (as is or by upgrading them). We just need to practice recycling our junk.
Some manufacturers who get “returns” from products with defects (such as items damaged during its delivery) or any old item they have in their inventory (old computer) usually refurbish to make sure that they don’t end up in the trash. What businesses or stores do is they fix, update or upgrade the item and sell it at cheaper prices compared to brand new items and even offer it with warranty. Popular categories in this field are electronics, especially mobile gadgets.
Stores and manufactures will lessen the risks for you for purchasing defective products by offering a warranty or extended service along with a return policy. The products even go through multiple and more detailed inspection to make sure it won’t cause you any trouble. They make sure that the product can meet (or even exceed) the performance of a similar product that is brand new.
Manufacturers or the product owner does not only do refurbishing items, if you have installed a used item on your computer or if you change parts on your car to improve its performance, you are refurbishing.
Here are some things that can happen when you buy a refurbished or a used item:
- You get items at a cheaper price. You can even barter with the current selling price from the merchant.
- You can help lessen electronics being dumped at landfills
- In relation to this, you can also sell your used items and get it to people who can make use of them or can recycle them. You can take advantage of marketplaces such as �Lamido� in listing your used items for sale.
- Your used items can also be useful to certain organizations that accept donations such as �Collective Good� (non profit organization) and �Funding Factory�.
- You can get items with upgrades from the previous owner
- Some sellers agrees to barter used items depending on what you offer
You save money when buying the items you like, you save the environment, you can get more add-ons and you can earn from selling used items. Brand new products may seem more secure to buy but that doesn’t mean you just forget about the old things, which was once brand new. You just have to know how to get the benefits out of them.